Suitable for those with some previous navigation experience, this 3 day course combines the Bronze and Silver Awards, so that the Bronze training is covered on the first day, with the Silver training and assessment on the 2nd and 3rd day respectively.
NNAS Awards are ideal for DofE supervisors, DofE Bronze award candidates, teachers and leaders who either do not hold national governing body awards, or are developing skills towards them (e.g. Lowland Leader, Mountain Leader), leisure walkers, photographers, horse riders, cyclists or anyone who works in lowland countryside. Some map reading experience is required to attend this course as is a degree of personal fitness.
The Silver Award builds on skills and techniques and develops confidence in navigation, so that on completion, participants will be able to safely plan and follow a route with some sections away from paths and tracks. By the end of the course attendees will be able to;
- recognise difficult and dangerous terrain on map and ground
- use back bearings to check route following accuracy
- deviate briefly from a compass bearing to avoid obstacles or difficult terrain and accurately regain the original line
- plan and implement navigational strategies
- recognise navigation error and apply relocation techniques
- demonstrate detailed understanding of the Countryside Code and other access legislation
Duration: 3 full days (typically 09.30-16.30, dates from October to March will include an element of night navigation on Day 2 so will have a slightly later start & finish time)
Location: Various locations throughout Sussex and Surrey - see below for dates and locations
- Use of maps and compass
- Full instruction by MTA qualified leader
- 15 % discount from Cotswold Outdoor
- Certificate on passing the award
For NNAS Silver courses we work at a maximum ratio of 1:6
It is recommended that you contact us prior to enrolling on this course, so we can understand your level of navigation experience and ensure that this course is a suitable route for you.
Please call 01403 788994 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information