This intermediate navigation course covers the principles of navigation in more detail than the Bronze Award and leads to a nationally recognised qualification in navigation.
NNAS Awards are ideal for DofE supervisors, DofE Bronze award candidates, teachers and leaders who either do not hold national governing body awards, or are developing skills towards them (e.g. Lowland Leader, Mountain Leader), leisure walkers, photographers, horse riders, cyclists or anyone who works in lowland countryside. Some map reading experience is required to attend this course as is a degree of personal fitness. You will get the most from the course if you have already completed the NNAS Bronze. However this is not mandatory and we recognise previous relevant experience and training as precursors to this course. We also offer a Straight to Silver for anyone wishing to fast track, and this may be a more suitable option - please contact us to discuss.
We are proud to have been running NNAS courses for the past eight years and are recognised as one of the region’s leading providers.
The Silver Award builds on skills and techniques and develops confidence in navigation, so that on completion, participants will be able to safely plan and follow a route with some sections away from paths and tracks. By the end of the course attendees will be able to:
- Recognise difficult and dangerous terrain on map and ground
- Use back bearings to check route following accuracy
- Deviate briefly from a compass bearing to avoid obstacles or difficult terrain and accurately regain the original line
- Plan and implement navigational strategies
- Recognise navigation error and apply relocation techniques
- Demonstrate detailed understanding of the Countryside Code and other access legislation
Duration: Two full days (typically 09.30-16.30 - October (GMT) to February dates include an element of night navigation on Day one so will have a slightly later start and finish times).
Location: Various locations throughout Sussex and Surrey. Please see below for dates and locations.
- Use of maps and compass
- Full instruction by a qualified International Mountain Leader
- 15% discount from Cotswold Outdoor
- Certificate on passing the award
For NNAS Silver courses we work at a maximum ratio of 1:6.
It is recommended that you contact us prior to enrolling on this course, so we can understand your level of navigation experience and ensure that this course is a suitable route for you.
Call 01403 788994 or email email@example.com for further information