The Gold Navigation Award marks the pinnacle of your navigation skills. You will be happy and familiar with all the bronze and silver skills and now wanting to get even more out of your navigation. The Gold Award is all about reading the landscape and comparing it to the ground. You’ll use contour features to enable you to identify where you are on your walk and be able to navigate to small and subtle contour features.`
If you’re looking to complete a Walking or Mountain Skills course, then the skills learnt on a Gold Award course will be invaluable.
NNAS Awards are ideal for DofE supervisors, DofE Bronze award candidates, teachers and leaders who either do not hold national governing body awards, or are developing skills towards them (e.g. Lowland Leader, Mountain Leader), leisure walkers, photographers, horse riders, cyclists or anyone who works in lowland countryside. Significant map reading experience is required to attend this course as is a degree of personal fitness. You will get the most from the course if you have already completed the NNAS Silver. However this is not mandatory and we recognise previous relevant experience and training as precursors to this course.
On completion of the award, participants will be able to plan and confidently follow safe routes away from paths and tracks in any open countryside through being able to;
- utilise contours and fine detail as the prime method of navigation
- accurately follow a route, judge distance, check progress against time, use relevant compass skills and maintain continuous map contact
- use back bearings and transits to confirm current position
- navigate in intricate terrain in reduced visibility
- use escape routes and know emergency procedures
- conduct route assessments in relation to changing conditions and circumstances
- quickly recognise navigational error and apply appropriate relocation techniques
- have an understanding of changing conditions and circumstances and how to manage them
Duration: Training and assessment: 2 days.
Location: Various locations in the Lake District and Snowdonia Please see below for dates and locations.
- Use of maps and compass
- Full instruction by MTA qualified leader
- 15% discount from Cotswold Outdoor
- Certificate on passing the award
For NNAS gold courses we work at a maximum ratio of 1:4
It is recommended that you contact us prior to enrolling on this course, so we can understand your level of navigation experience and ensure that this course is a suitable route for you.