A fun, practical and challenging course which addresses the essential and often neglected skills of navigating in the dark or poor visibility, and provides a great opportunity to explore and appreciate the countryside in darkness. Participants will learn how to manage the changing conditions which can be unsettling if you are unprepared. As night-time falls, accurate navigation skills are key as is knowing where you are at all times. Your instructor will show you how you can safely follow a route when landmarks are not visible.
Suitable for those with some basic navigation experience and would like to develop more advanced techniques.
- Choosing navigation strategies and routes
- Relocation and measuring distance on and off the map
- Planning, preparation and preserving night vision
- Refresh navigation skills
- Develop micro navigation skills
- Emergency procedures and safety
Four hours approx - we vary the start time of the course depending on the time of year and sunset times.
Meet at the pub for a briefing before heading out onto the South Downs for a fully guided training walk.
Finish back at the pub for post course reflection and a well-earned drink.
West Sussex section of the South Downs or the Surrey Hills - please see below for dates and locations.
- Use of maps and compass
- Full instruction by MTA qualified leader
- 15% discount from Cotswold Outdoor
- Course is limited to eight participants