A fun, practical and challenging course which addresses the essential and often neglected skills of navigating in the dark or poor visibility, and provides a great opportunity to explore and appreciate the countryside in darkness. Starting in daylight, participants will learn how to manage the changing conditions which can be unsettling if you are unprepared. As night-time falls, accurate navigation skills are key as is knowing where you are at all times. Your instructor will show you how you can safely follow a route when landmarks are not visible.
Suitable for those with some basic navigation experience and would like to develop more advanced techniques.
- Choosing navigation strategies and routes
- Relocation and measuring distance on and off the map
- Planning, preparation and preserving night vision
- Refresh navigation skills
- Develop micro navigation skills
- Emergency procedures and safety
4 hours – we vary the start time of the course depending on the time of year and sunset times
West Sussex section of the South Downs or the Surrey Hills – please see below for dates
- Use of maps and compass
- Full instruction by MTA qualified leader
- 15% discount from Cotswold Outdoor
- Course is limited to 8 participants